Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Wedding Speech

T H E
WEDDING
image source


Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
I hope you have enjoyed what we have presented to you thus far. Our bride and groom have lost a lot of hairs to make sure you do though, just a friendly F.Y.I. (For your information). A fact, that I know a lot of you in this hall in this very evening have come from faraway places, therefore, on behalf of the family of the bride and the family of the groom, I'd like to extend our sincerest thanks and how grateful we all are to have you join us and celebrate Cindy and Hadi's wedding today.

I was asked to speak this evening by Cindy, and in case you don't know, that's the bride, to say something and I have thought a lot about it; I mean, what do you say during your sister's wedding? So, eventually I have decided to speak about them, because they are about to embark on a beautiful journey as husband and wife. 

Hadi, you are marrying someone who has been the greatest sister to my brothers and me (and also because she's our only sister) and someone who has been really great to both her parents, and according to a lot of wise people who are my aunts and uncles and parents tonight, that's a great sign that you are marrying someone who will not only be a great wife to you but also a wonderful mother to your children later. 

I remember when Cindy and I used to fight over the remote control because I wanted to watch WWF while she and Lydia Christine there, our cousin, wanted to watch MTV. I remember when she came home from school one day and called mum and dad telling them about her SPM results. I remember when she was about to leave home at eighteen to leave for Kedah to pursue her ambition as a lawyer. I remember when we used to fight over who gets to drive the car when we were old enough to drive. I remember all those times that she is always there for her family; she was never absent during those hard moments in our lives and I couldn't be happier today that she's finally settling down with you, Hadi. 

For the past couple of years knowing you, I know you will be taking care of our princess from now onward. 

Now ladies and gentlemen, I don't have to have start about Hadi. The first time my family had a family dinner with Hadi's family, we were told then that the whole family is a big supporter of the greatest club in the world, Manchester United and that ladies and gentlemen, is the greatest sign any parents could ever hope for! But really, guys, Hadi has been a great brother to me. I can confidently say to all of you, there is never an awkward moment when Hadi is around. The both of them never stop talking, no wonder they are lawyers. I have seen how Hadi was really working hard to make things work, to foster and forge relationships with the family for the past couple of years and I am really looking forward to have you more in our family photos in the many days to come. 

Before I end, I would just like to impart our bride and groom today with a message: everybody can say they love one another when everything's going well. When the bills are paid, when there are no little and big fights swept under the carpet, when the food is well-stocked in the fridge, when the cars are running and when the love is still young and fair. 

But the bond you have with one another, I hope, you will brave the storms ahead as husband and wife, hold each other's hands when things seem difficult and impossible to live through. Cherish every tiny moment in your life and may God guide you both along the way. 

Find in each other the funniest things, and share with each other when your heart sings. 
And no truer words have ever been penned, than the crux of your love is just being best friends. 
From this day on you are never alone; wherever you are, it is your spouse that's your home. 
And when time has passed and the two of you age and grey, and your lives are about to turn the last page, 
you'll see not the wrinkles, nor the old, nor the grey-instead, you'll see yourselves as you are on this day. 

Thank you. 

Share:

0 comments: