Monday, October 19, 2015

Teach What You Know

I was reading one of my favourite writers' article last week, by Jeff Goins. The article is a simple secret to success: teach what you know. It sounds obvious, yes? But oddly enough, it's usually overlooked. 
image source
However, if you think about it hard enough, the things we're good at (or excel doing) are sometimes taken for granted. What may seem easy and "no biggie" for us will probably feel a hundred times harder for other people.
So, to experiment, I tested it out by sharing what I feel most comfortable with: my own world of Narsilonia, the fictional world I have been working on since I was fifteen. 

BE COMFORTABLE sharing

I wrote this, "creating your own middle-earth" and I thought while I was at it, why not share some of the things I find really enjoyable doing? Such as drawing the map and making up events in a chronological order. 
In a lot of ways, what Jeff wrote in that article was true. I was feeling more comfortable sharing what I know rather than trying too hard to share something I'm not entirely sure of or comfortable with.
Why don't you try it? Perhaps that's something you might have overlooked too.
Good luck! 

Share:

0 comments: